in February 1868, From Churston to Brixham, this little line had the
been the personal achievement of local solicitor Richard W.Wolsten.
It was opened with a single 14xx class 0-4-2 T and one auto-coach,
including the daily 'mixed train' for freight traffic. Until the
last couple of years, when a single diesel railcar operated the line
with an early morning freight service. This link would have been
very useful today with the bustling town a busy fishing port. The
line past Kingswear is operated by Dart valley Railway, Past
Paignton the line is National Rail.
bay platform used is today home of a shed to house carriages during
the winter when the steam railway is inactive. The line eventually
closed in May 1963. the tracks have been lifted with the loop curve
out of Churston station into the direction of Brixham being occupied
by a house. Some of the original bridges still remain through the
village with the original track-bed being overgrown. There is little
evidence of the branch line in Brixham.
Platform- then and now
The Brixham Branch Auto train waits in the bay platform at Churston
waiting for the arrival of a connecting service before leaving
behind 0-4-2T No.1439 in April 1956
Image © Peter Gray
showing the building built over the bay platform at Churston.
was the Brixham Branch?